Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The journey is a joy

Today marks the 34th anniversary of beginning my first job after graduating college, so perhaps my few readers will indulge me if I make a second post today on this non-milestone anniversary.

I began work in Kansas City for Black & Veatch, one of the leading engineering firms in the nation. I remember much about that first day: the layout of the large room; the empty desk right behind my reference table, of the man who was on assignment in Duluth; the man in front and kitty corner to the front (Bill and Stan, respectively); of being told I would be drafting for the first few months (turned out to be only two), not engineering; of quickly realizing how much I didn't know; the heat walking to and from the remote parking lot; the team across the room who flipped coins for coffee every morning about 9 AM.

I've had four jobs in my career, this last one lasting more than seventeen years. It would have been only two or three jobs had Iraq not invaded Kuwait in 1990, keeping me from returning to my expatriate home away from home. Most of the time the work has been pleasurable. Challenging, fulfilling, interesting, almost always giving a feeling of accomplishment. They say that if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life. And I have loved the engineering I've done, even as the career changed. First designing wastewater treatment plants, then designing lattice-steel transmission towers, then studying water distribution systems, then designing water treatment plants and other water works, then moving into a project management/department head roll of a crew mostly designing wastewater collection systems, then designing a mixture of wastewater and water works, including an award winning reverse osmosis water treatment plant, then on a major wastewater system study and related work in a management position. And that's just the first 17 years! After that it is a blur of design, management, new roles, much work and many hours.

My interests are slowly changing, as I tumble to a retirement that, unless plans change, is only 8 years, 6 months, and 13 days away. Writing has certainly taken over the non-engineering hours, and even sometimes the engineering ones, forcing me to work the extra hours to put in my time. When someday I write my memoirs, should any one care about them besides my most immediate family, I expect the title to be The Journey Was A Joy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David I too am nearing retirement, 6 years away. Haven't got it calculated down to the months, days, and hours yet.

I don't have a university degree, but did go back and get some further education after high school.

My first full-time job was in June 1969 working construction with Babcock & Wilcox the large US company also based in Cambridge, Ontario. Worked on a power generating station located on Lake Erie.

Next year will mark 40 years in the workforce and there are two things I am most proud of,

- I have never collected unemployment insurance or welfare
- I have never been fired from a job. Always left on my own terms, never with any animosity.

I too held several different jobs over that 40 years.

Steve

David A. Todd said...

Steve:

It's easy for me to quickly calculate the time till retirement, since my birthday is December 31st and I will presumably retire on the day I turn 65.

Congratulations on a long and fulfilling career. The only job I ever was fired from was a short order cook position while in college. I just couldn't hack it and lasted only two weeks.

Dave