Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Nighttime Muse

I've never been one to use the word "muse." I haven't read the applicable Greek mythology to know exactly what the nine (or was it seven) muses were and their purposes. The idea is that a force or forces outside of you drives your creativity. If any force does that for me, it's the triune God.

But of late I've had a little trouble falling asleep, my head full of writing stuff. Normally I'm asleep when my head hits the pillow. It drives Lynda crazy. The melatonin must surge in my veins, and I sleep immediately and well. I might wake up 4:00 to 5:00 AM and have a little trouble getting back and staying asleep after that, but even that's kind of rare. I stay fairly active during waking hours, with my mind if not my body, and I think that aids in sleep.

However for the last week it's taken me 30 minutes to an hour to fall hard asleep. My mind has been full of plot lines of future novels, of re-formatting needed for books just about to be published, of marketing schemes that result in large numbers of sales. Of writers conferences and retreats.

I don't know how long this will last. Hopefully not long, and I will soon return to lights out, mind off, deep slumber. I can't really see how this is helping me get on down the road as a writer/author.

No comments: