Thursday, November 6, 2008

The People Have Spoken

The election on November 4 was a clear signal, I believe, from the American people. They don't like the job the Bush administration has done, and John McCain was not seen as a better alternative. Hence Barak H. Obama is our president-elect. I hope he has a successful presidency, and that my fears of an 8-year economic slowdown/recession/depression about to take place as a follow-up to the Panic of 2008 (which I believe will happen regardless of who had been elected president) will not happen.

I notice the Democratic gains in the Senate were about in line with expectation, while the gains in the house were a bit below expectation. Still, the gains were clear. That is surprising given Congress' low approval rating as determined by pollsters, but is further evidence of backlash against Bush.

While some non-professional pundits are saying this is the end of the Republican party, I think that death certificate is pre-mature.

The main negative I have heard in the last two days is that potential Republican hopefuls for 2012 are already making plans to head to Iowa. How sad we must be in a perpetual election cycle.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree the death warrant is a little too soon for the Republican party. Karl Rove and other Rovies will not give up that easy.

I'm also wondering what fear do you have in the name Hussein?

David A. Todd said...

IJM:

Thanks for posting the comment. I have no fear of using Obama's middle name. It's just that most people are known by first name, middle initial, last name. Few people are known by three complete names. Our current president is generally called George W. Bush, not George Walker Bush. We will generally know the middle names of the more prominent politicians, but won't generally state them.

DAT