Monday, July 16, 2012

"The Candy Store Generation" is Published

I completed the work on Friday, after receiving the Kindle version of the book from the interior designer at 7:09 p.m. I had already "create" the book in the Kindle template, so it was a simple matter of uploading the two files. I did that by 9 p.m. Amazon says the book doesn't appear until after a time lag, which could be as much as 24-48 hours. However, when I checked first thing in the morning, it was live and for sale.

I decided Saturday wasn't a good day for a book launch. I made a report on my Facebook author's page, but nothing else. On Sunday I put up a notice on Conservative Arkansas, the Facebook page for that PAC. I had one sale on Saturday and one on Sunday. That's still where it stands as of 11:45 a.m. on Monday.

On Sunday I:

Uploaded the book to Smashwords. Their "Meatgrinder" successfully converted it to multiple file formats, and it was live in a few minutes. Unfortunately the graphics didn't convert very well into the ePub format, at least not according to my ePub viewer. I don't know if they will show better on a real e-readers that displays as ePub or not.

Formatted the book for the print version; discovered a couple of graphs are not the current ones so will have to replace them before I upload the file.

Reviewed the draft print cover from my cover designer and approved it, with a couple of suggestions. I'm hoping I receive the final figure today, which will allow me to package everything tonight and upload it tomorrow. I'll order a proof copy, and hopefully will be able to finalize it sometime next week and have the print book for sale before the end of the month.











I put this book in two Kindle categories:
 Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Politics & Current Events > Practical Politics
 Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction >POLITICAL SCIENCE > Political Process > General

I don't know that "Practical Politics" is a good category, but those two sales put it as high as #58 on the bestseller list. I had to take a screen shot of that. I was a few places behind Juan Williams and Noah Chomsky and a few ahead of Mitch Daniel. Obviously they aren't selling many e-books right now.

No comments: