Thursday, July 24, 2014

It's Thursday, I'm Here

That's about all I can say about the start of the day. As I said in my last post, I was nauseous on Monday. I was able to keep my food down, but it was always there, ready to come back up. Tuesday and Wednesday, during the workday, had a little nausea, but not much. I actually felt pretty good.

Then I got home Wednesday night, and it all came back. Had a bowl of homemade soup for supper, and the nauseous feeling was immediately there. I finally decided I'd better walk and see if I could keep my supper down. Lynda walked with me. We returned some things to the neighbors. She stayed to visit while I walked on. I delivered some mis-delivered mail to the next neighbors, and kept going.

About 1/4 mile up the road it was no use. I stepped into a wide grassy area and lost everything, heaving for a long time. I turned around and walked back, and had another episode. Of course, after that I felt much better, though I was wiped out for the evening, and sat around doing nothing but light reading.

This nausea seems to be a reaction to a combination of medicines. I take methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis and Byetta for type 2 diabetes. It wasn't till the Byetta was added that I started having the nausea. One thing Byetta does is mess with normal digestive system function. It delays the emptying of the stomach, which causes you to eat less and lowers blood sugar spikes. At lest, that's what the papers that come with the medicine, or what on-line sources, tell me.

The worst day seems to be Wednesday. Tuesday is when I take my methotrexate. I'm wondering if that is sitting on my stomach, and having that too long in the stomach, together with the stomach being full, is the problem. I used to take methotrexate on Monday and felt the nausea on Tuesday. As an experiment I changed the day, and the nausea changed. But the methotrexate isn't the problem, as I took it for over a year with no problems. It was only after the Byetta was added that the problem began.

I went a month or two this year with little nausea, May and June. It's come back in July. Coincidentally I've been eating a little more in July. My stomach is probably staying fuller, and the nausea persists.

Today I feel weak in body and mind. It's 8:26 a.m. right now. I need to be about my employer's business, so will end this and see what I can accomplish.

No comments: