Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Turbulent Week

I can't believe I let the entire week go by without posting! I had such good intentions, planning to write two more posts from the Wesley snippet I found, then going on to something else. I can only plead the strangeness of the week, and the turbulence thereof.

On Monday we had another corporate downsizing. Twenty-two people were laid off in our offices nationwide, I think eleven in our Bentonville home office and the rest scattered among all offices. In addition, pay cuts have been implemented, affecting me and many others. Management took the greatest pay cuts, and people who are wholly in production took none at all. This seems a fair way to do it. No one wants to have a pay cut, but that is better than looking for a job.

I spent much of the week on drainage issues on two or three projects, including some "heavy" calculations for one project. I say "heavy" because I haven't had to do this for a few years, and we have new software that I have barely used. I found it easy to use for most things, but some complicated features of a storm water detention pond could not be easily handled. I entered data and ran the program, thought I had it right and printed, only to find when perusing the report that it wasn't right, and I had to do it all over again. I don't know how many trees I killed with printout I found were erroneous. Our recycling box was considerably fuller by the end of the week. But, I got that done, went on to other projects that I had to review (not do the calcs), and found a bit of closure at the end of the week. I still have one more set of calculations to run on Monday-Tuesday, and will have to begin a fairly major flood study about the same time, but my workload seems manageable.

Then, I wrote two lessons in the Sunday School series I'm currently teaching, "The Dynamic Duo: Lessons from the Lives of Elijah and Elisha". That puts be one week ahead, and with another started and well along, almost two full weeks ahead. I need to be two ahead--or three if possible--because I will miss two weeks in May, if all goes well. That is really the only writing I've done this week, except for a series of e-mails to a project manager in our Dallas office, explaining to her how to run a public bid project. I don't suppose those qualify for creative writing, though.

I will hopefully be back before the day is out, and make a follow-up post on Wesley's letter, then will be more active this week.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Sara told me about the downsizing, lay offs, and pay cuts happening at your company last week...I'm sorry that it has been such a turbulent time for you - especially at work...we will be praying for you and the company that things may turn around soon...and praying for all those who have already been laid off. Let us know if there is anything else we can do. Blessings.