Monday, May 19, 2008

Ridgecrest Diary: Monday, May 19, 2008

We arrived here yesterday about 1:30 PM local time, after a hard drive Saturday (757 miles) and a short, 2-hour hop yesterday. So we were able to check in early, and I was able to reconnoiter the camp for a hour or so. Met two fellow un-published writers during my wanderings.

At supper, one of the editors I was most interested in meeting came to sit at my table, and I was able to talk to him about my projects. I didn't do a real pitch, since both of our wives were with us and it was somewhat casual. The evening session was good, with a very good keynote speech by Alton Gansky.

After that, I went to the coffee shop and talked with a couple of ladies who were at their first writers conference. I was able to help them understand some of the conference organization, and made a few suggestions on which sessions they could go to and which faculty to try to meet. Then I went back to our building and hung out in the lobby with a group of guys. Four of them were faculty, all published authors (mainly novels, but some non-fiction). Did that for almost two hours, and learned much from those four experts in my avocation.

Time to head to breakfast. Hopefully today will yield much more results.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Blessings in your hunt!

David A. Todd said...

Thanks, Richard. Sorry to take so long to reply.

Dave