Friday, May 23, 2008

Strange things computers do

We are en-route from Ridgecrest Conference Center back to Arkansas, with stops along the way in Evansville, Indiana and Kansas City, Missouri. Today was an easy drive. But, before we left Ridgecrest, we hiked to the peak of Royal Gorge Mountain. This is not the world's tallest mountain, but it was a feat for us in the shape we are in. Maybe this will spur us on to do the things required for better fitness.

We took a couple to the Asheville airport, then double-backed a little and toured the Biltmore mansion in Asheville. This was an incredible house, and I may blog on it some day.

Here in the hotel, we tried to connect to the wireless Internet, and couldn't. We confirmed with the desk that they did not have a network/router/access problem, then called tech services. The man there talked me through the problem. It turns out the feature to have Windows search for available networks was turned off. I didn't turn it off, nor did Lynda. What caused it? One of the strange things that computers do. Then, on my user receiving e-mail is possible, but not on Lynda's user. And neither of us can send e-mail--at least not with Internet Explorer. Yahoo is doing fine, and we can check e-mail through cox.net's site--when we have Internet.

Why do computers mess up like this? We don't knowingly change the settings to cause this to happen. What gives? This is one of the reasons I describe myself as a techno-phobe.

I'm so tired I'm going to post without proof-reading. I'll look for mistakes another day.

No comments: