Thursday, October 9, 2008

Kernel_Stack_Inpage_Error

It happened again. I went downstairs to the Dungeon last night, after church then a late supper, to do my various writing activities. And on my wife's computer (she's away baby sitting our grandchild) was a blue screen error. Two flat-screen monitors showed the same thing:

Kernal_Stack_Inpage_Error
then a bunch of words, then
Stop: 0X00000077 with some similar comma-delimited letters and numbers

After the last time, I learned that all this stuff means something, and that the type of error and all these letter-number combos can help diagnose the problem. So I wrote them down, went to my computer and did a Google search for "Kernal Stack Inpage Error". The first hit was a Microsoft support page, which talked about this and about parameters. It says "To determine the possible cause, you must interpret the error message. If both the first and the third parameters are zero, the four parameters are defined as follows....If either the first or the third parameter is not a zero, the following definitions apply...."

What the heck is a parameter? I assume it's those four letter-number combos in parentheses, but what does "if the parameter is zero" mean? The letter-number combos are all in the form of 0x000073B4, that is, a single digit followed by an x followed by eight digits or letters. But is the parameter the entire thing? Or is it the digit before the x? Since they all have an x in them, are they all non-zero? or is the x meaningless? The third letter-number combo was 0x00000000; is this a zero since all the digits are zero? I assume it is, and thus, per the instructions, the second parameter is the key one; except what shows in my parameter doesn't appear in the Microsoft help screen. Some help.

I don't absorb writing well from the screen, and since the failed computer is my server, I couldn't print the instructions. So I left the computer as it was and spent my much-reduced time on other stuff. Today at work I did the same search and came up with other pages, not all Microsoft, that purport to help solve the problem, but none of which seem to be speaking English. One tech support forum says:

"If you can restart your computer after the error message, Autochk runs automatically and tries to map out the bad sector. If for some reason Autochk
does not scan the hard disk for errors, manually start the disk scanner. If your
computer is formatted with the NTFS file system, run Chkdsk /f /r on the system
partition. You must restart your computer before the disk scan begins. If you
cannot start your computer due to this issue, use the Command Console and run
Chkdsk /r."

So now I have to learn what an NTFS file system is, I guess, and figure out (somehow) if my computer has that or whatever the alternative is. Back to Google, I guess. After that it will be something else.

I can't keep unplugging this machine and running down to a computer fix-it store, where they tell me it's a motherboard problem when it isn't. So I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and 1) spend beaucoups hours learning how to do it myself, 2) have in-house service for big bucks, or 3) buy a new computer.

And the dream keeps fading away, as time to pursue the dream goes from an oasis to a mirage. Don't mind me; received another rejection yesterday.

ETA on 10/10/08: The problem is not resolved, because the on-off switch, tempermental almost since we got the machine, has quit working entirely. The Dell tech support people were most unhelpful, though they didn't mean to be. The backdoor channel I have available through corporate buying power has resulted in e-mails and calls. Seems like for a $500 bill and a week I can have this resolved like new. And the dream....

ETA on 10/20/08: The problem still is not resolved. I learned I can't buy an on-off switch by itself. I have to buy the whole front of the computer box. But this only costs about $21 with shipping, and supposedly I can do the switcheroo myself. However, I have decided to bite the bullet and just order a new computer. Because of the many problems I have had with this--most of them Dell's doings--Dell is being really nice and giving me a good discount. I assume our corporate buying power has something to do with that. I don't need monitors or software, so that helps. I may get it this week sometime, which will allow me to take the weekend to install. Later, I may buy that front piece for the other computer and see what I can do with it. And the dream....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NDG,

I'm not really a hardware guy, but I might be able to help a little bit.

1. First, try rebooting. Try it 20-30 times, if necessary. (not kidding) If / as / when your ARE able to get your computer to reboot successfully, BACK UP YOUR WRITING IMMEDIATELY. You probably have a hardware problem. Your computer is probably terminal, if it hasn't already fully died. Actually, if you can get it to boot, back up everything in your My Documents folder that you might want to keep.

2. NTFS is the Windows NT File System. Think of it as graph paper-esque lines drawn on your hard drive by the computer to keep things organized. So, like, MS-Word is found from grid coordinates A1-A23, the great american novel file is C27-C66 and so on. Possibly the grid lines have been erased either by hardware failur or a virus. If your computer does boot, you might try going into DOS mode and typing the command "chkdsk /r /f". That's a program to effectively re-write the grap lines. If a corrupt disk is your problem that should fix them.

3. The 0x in front of the numbers means that they are in Hexadecimal (base 16) rather than the base 10 numbering system that humans use. So, like, 1,2,3...7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10 (<-- "F" is 16, "10" is 17 in hex) rather than 1,2,3,...,7,8,9,10. Discount the leading 0x, it's just a way of saying "i'm going to speak computer numbers rather than people numbers."

3. The on/off switch thing that you ETA'd suggests a motherboard problem to me. That's actually sort of good news; if you get a new computer or a new motherboard you can probably just plug your hard drive in and start up with no loss of data.

Nice try with the jimmy thing today. Feel free to PM me if you get stuck on the computer issue.

--shawkins

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that's "F"=15, "10"=17 in hex.

Also, if you can get it to boot run Windows update and install a virus scanner.

David A. Todd said...

Scott:

Thanks for coming by. The on-off switch is simply a broken switch, not the mother board. The switch was tempermental almost from the moment we got the stupid machine. The plastic part the switch is supposed to push against is broken, so the switch has nothing to push against. Even when I use something to wedge behind the switch, it still doesn't work. So, without an on-off switch, I cannot reboot. I could pull the plug to turn it off, but then have no way to turn it on again. If I can't find a place to replace the switch, the machine is toast.

I've been reading about it quite a bit, and understand what you are saying about multiple reboots being necessary.

All of this is taking time away from writing, the almost miniscule time I have available for writing. Alas, alas.

Best Regards,
NDG