Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Mind is Still Full

As often happens after a long conference, the realities of work and life don't allow for as much translation of mind fullness to practical results. As I wrote last Sunday, I returned from the IECA conference with a full mind. So many things to do at work about erosion control. And, from my continued reading in Chuck Colson's How Now Shall We Live with many things to do and think about with my spiritual life.

But the after-conference realities of work hit me this week. I began by organizing the stuff I brought back from the conference: business cards, magazines, copies of technical papers, manufacturer's materials. That lasted 15 minutes before I was summoned to a meeting involving possible warranty work on two subdivisions, one I worked on and one I didn't. That lasted 90 minutes and required follow-ups with e-mails and several long discussions. It culminated in a 2 1/2 hour meeting today with the City of Rogers. They claim we did some things wrong in the design, but we don't think so. The meeting went well.

Then on Tuesday there as an hour usurped to attend a webinar about the new MUTCD manual and regulations (traffic signage, striping, and signalization). Then there was the project in Lone Tree, CO that one of our young engineers designed, which was given to me to review because the City's stormwater regulations were tricky and others who might have been able to review it were unavailable. That took close to eight hours between a detailed review of the drainage report and then understanding some difficult City standard details (items that go on construction drawings). Oh, yes, also the third review of a flood study in Rogers, of a lake dammed up on a creek.

In the two reviews, I found much needing to be changed. I struggled with the reviews, for fear that the large number of comments I had to give would crush the spirit of these two young engineers. But both took it well, and seemed pleased with the time I took to explain to them what the basis of my comments was. For the Lone Tree project, the misinterpretation of the City's details might have been disastrous if I hadn't reviewed it.

All this work, including bringing some things home tonight, is cutting into my writing time. Even tonight I brought some papers home, and an erosion magazine, to finish re-reading an important article and begin crafting a rebuttal for it. I may never turn the rebuttal into a publishable article, but I'll enjoy writing it. I also made some more notes for the paper I'm going to give March 31 at the Muddy Waters Blues conference in Bentonville. I'm supposed to have my PowerPoint presentation turned in on Monday, but no way will I be ready. I might--I say might--have the paper written by then, but I can't pull a PowerPoint together until I know what I'm going to say.

Plus, at work they have blocked blogspot, so I can't even access An Arrow Through the Air from there. Nor can I access many of the writing blogs I read. So I'll have to do almost all my blog work at home now, in crowded evenings and on weekends. That has put a cramp in my writing other things. I intended to work an hour or so on an article for Suite101, preparing to post it tomorrow. But after cooking supper and doing some dishes and adding the checkbook and working on that work stuff, it's already 10:10 and I'm exhausted. Yet the end is not yet. I wanted to read twenty pages tonight in Colson, and I have a stack of junk mail to go through. So Suite will have to wait till tomorrow, if then.


Anonymous said...

Wow, just reading about your week makes me tired. hahaha

Hope you have a good weekend.

David A. Todd said...


I only got through the junk mail last night; no time for reading. Today at work was good. I got a ton of stuff done, though the research took me somewhat in a different direction than I intended. Tonight I read some in Colson, then fixed supper, then paid bills, then read some in the Carlyle-Emerson letters, now I'm in the Dungeon briefly. Looks like it will be a busy weekend.