Tuesday, July 1, 2008

July Goals

This will be the first month in a long time that I set writing goals, and the first time I'll post them here. This may be a progressive post, edited several time today as these goals come to mind.

  • Type final edits on the Screwtape Letters study guide proposal; mail to the editor by July 3.
  • Complete proposal on In Front of Fifty Thousand Screaming People; edit; mail to agent by July 10. This will include work on the first 30 pages of the book, which are to be included.
  • Begin work on proposal on the Elijah and Elisha small group study guide. By the end of the month I would like to see the proposal essentially complete, and the weekly study sheets I prepared for Life Group expanded into chapters. If I can have it ready to mail to the editor by then, fine, but I'll be satisfied mailing it in August.
  • Attend critique group twice. At the first one present the synopsis for In Front of Fifty Thousand Screaming People; at the second present the concept for the Documenting America newspaper column, including marketing letter and one or two sample columns.
  • Finish organizing the scattered piles of paper about the house. Actually, I'd be satisfied to simply bring improved organization to this, even if I don't finish it. At least I want to have all papers of all works in progress filed together, and drafts of all poems put in their assigned places.
  • Organize the business end of writing, including establishing a mileage log so I can get rid of the scraps.
  • Continue to post to this blog, at least 10 posts this month, and preferably 15 to 18.
  • Begin outlining the next life group lesson I'll teach, and prepare it in a way it can become a small group study guide.

2 comments:

Richard said...

I've neglected your blog for some time... for obvious reasons during this transition... but just wanted to stop by and say that I'm glad to see you enjoying the "Lost Letters..." again. Keep it as long as you'd like, but your thoughts on the book actually made me want to read it again... so when you're finished, if you'd be so kind as to return it, I would like to take another look at the book... no rush, of course, I have many other things to occupy my time at present.

I would also like to take a look at your study of the Screwtape Letters... I'm thinking that some of our LifeGroups might enjoy using your study guide, once we get our LifeGroup ministry up and running.

Hope all is going well for you... and thanks for loaning out your wife again, she's been a tremendous help. Blessings ~ RLS

David A. Todd said...

Richard:

Lost Letters Of Pergamum was good the second time around, probably better. I will have it in the next vehicle rolling westward from our house to yours, probably in about ten days.

My study guide on The Screwtape Letters currently consists of the proposal and four sample chapters. Twenty-eight more chapters to go. I probably won't begin those until I hear back from the publisher; unless, of course, that is a long time coming or a quick no. In those cases I will possibly resume work on the chapters before. I will, however, e-mail you the proposal and sample chapters, and receive with joy any comments you may have.

Dave