Thursday, July 17, 2008

Sidelines Syndrome

I first encountered Sidelines Syndrome when I was in junior high, a skinny lad who loved both academics and sports but who excelled only at the former and struggled with the latter. I didn't know what to call it then.

I experienced it mainly on Sundays, in the fall, and it continued strongly all the way through high school. We went to mass at 9:00 AM, and got home around 10:30 AM or a little later. Cereal and toast were consumed, Dad fell asleep either on the dining room floor or in his bedroom, and it was time to read, do homework, or watch whatever pre-game football shows they had on in the 1960s. Eventually the game itself would start. How great it was to watch the New York football Giants, with Y.A. Tittle and later Fran Tarkenton at quarterback, Homer Jones at flanker, and…others whose names I can’t remember. I think Frank Gifford may have already retired. But I prate.

However, by the end of the first quarter, I was tired of watching and wanted to be doing. So I turned off the television, went outside, and started playing basketball alone. Not sure what my younger brother was doing; perhaps he sometimes joined me in wide part of the driveway. Within a half-hour, certainly before the end of the first half, my neighbor Bobby, same grade as me, would come out and we’d have a friendly competition. An hour later and we were throwing the football in the street. Other neighborhood kids would join us, and we started a pick-up game in the street. The “field” stretched three telephone poles, the middle pole being the first down. It was always Bobby and me against all the others, all much younger than us. Bobby was Fran Tarkenton and I was Homer Jones. The ten or fifteen kids we played against didn't stand a chance. But again I prate.

Sidelines Syndrome, as I define it now, is the physical or psychological reaction of body, soul, and spirit to being on the sidelines rather than being in the game. As teenagers, SS caused us to have an overwhelming urge of needing to be in the game, not watching others play the game on television even if they were quantum leaps ahead of us in skill and ability. We had to be out playing, not watching. I've noticed that SS has the exact opposite effect on us as we age. Instead of wanting to be in the game, we are glad to be on the sidelines; it lulls us to complacency, tiredness, and an overwhelming desire to sleep through half the game. At least it does me.

Last night, I experienced my first case of teenager SS in years. After working late, I went to Barnes & Noble to read, relax, research, and drink that large house blend that I mentioned in yesterday’s post. I began reading Noah Lukeman's The First Five Pages. I read about ten pages, then felt an overwhelming urge to be writing instead of reading about writing. I couldn't concentrate. So I put that down and began reading in The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Writing Poetry. I managed to research one minor topic, then SS interrupted the neurotransmitters and I had to lay it aside. Next was a book about fifty skills a writer should have, or something like that. I couldn't get past the table of contents. The same was true with “Poets and Writers” and “Writers Journal” magazines. Concentration was impossible. I had to be writing.

So I went home, fixed dinner, went to my reading chair, and began planning out what I think will be my next book, a Bible study, and doing some research on it. SS was satisfied, my brain fully engaged, and productive words and concepts flowed. As the evening progressed and way led on to way, I quit about 1:15 AM, a blog post made and three sell-sheets drafted for three future books. I was satisfied; my brain was satisfied, a teen-age type attack of SS fully suppressed, and a 5:55 AM alarm setting turned on. Hey, maybe I’m getting younger!

Don’t bother to look up Sidelines Syndrome in a medical book, or Google it, or check it in Wikipedia. It doesn't exist as a clinically defined medical or psychological phenomenon. I assure you it exists, however, and needs to be dealt with in the right way. Maybe this post will spur those professions to get off their duffs and figure this out—quickly. I can’t take many more nights of less than five hours sleep.

3 comments:

vero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vero said...

Sideline Syndrome an interesting term—not sure it accurately names the condition—but, I'm pretty sure your description of it is on point, at least in the way it manifests in my life.

I, also, believe that improper resolution of SS leads to sloth—or torpidity or spiritual torpor. When a person desires to do something badly, but is not afforded the opportunity or proper means to achieve or pursue the desire, or if the opportunity is delayed too long, an essential part of the initiative mechanism or will or drive is deadened or put to sleep in an individual.

The story of the young elephant tethered with a huge heavy chain as a young calf illustrates this conclusion. In his youth, he is unable to break free, and his movements are severely limited. As an adult elephant, he surely could snap the chain without effort, but no longer attempts escape or tries to secure freedom. From much energy, time and effort expended when he was a juvenile, he learned that he could not free himself, so he remains restrained by an ineffective constraint.

I'm writing on this topic and have been studying it for six or more years. I think it's a worthy topic.

I'm also currently experiencing a bout of SS. I hope I don't allow it to derail me or lose precious time or threaten my focus or diminish the quality or desired outcomes of goals and objectives for current projects.

Thanks, David for this article and your insight.

Veronica Jones-Brown