Monday, August 31, 2009

'Tis the Season - for Submittals

I had good intentions of blogging over the weekend. The wife is away, I've kept the house neat, and had no major yard work to do. But a summer cold hit, and I found myself with no gumption to write much of anything. By Sunday evening I felt much better (thought my scratchy voice belied that), and I finished a difficult article at Suite101.com and came close to finishing a second. Today I'm much better, at work, and have energy for writing.

At the Absolute Write forums I responded to a post titled "when you fell in love with poetry...". I explained my hatred for poetry for many years, brought on by a series of English teachers who insisted on interpretation of poems I didn't see--but I don't really want to get into that today. I got over my hatred of poetry, rather late in life I'm afraid, but not too late to embrace it for appreciation and try it for a writing outlet. As I wrote that post at AW, and as I thought about when it was I began enjoying and then writing poetry, it suddenly dawned on me that it was August 31, 2001 that I began writing my first serious adult poem. Eight years ago today. I remember it well, sitting out in the grassy area near the pines on the north side of our former house. But I prate.

The other important thing about this date is actually tomorrow, September 1. That is the day that many, many literary magazines open up again to submissions. Most of these are associated with universities and colleges, and close down during summer. September through May submission periods are quite common. Last spring I sent out six submissions for my short story, "Mom's Letter". I think I missed the submission window by a couple of days on one of them. Heard back on three or four--rejections.

With the new submissions season, I need to decide what to do about the short story and about submitting some poems. I didn't submit any poems anywhere in 2008. I think I need to make some submissions this year. So over the next couple of weeks I'll be reviewing my inventory, seeing which ones seem most promising to me. Then I'll have to get back to work researching markets and see which ones look most promising to me. Then I'll have to marry the two.

This isn't the type of work I enjoy about writing, but it's necessary, so I will do it. Now, back to engineering for a couple of hours.

No comments: