Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

I planned on writing today. From the moment I got up and prepared for church--no, actually from last night when I got home from a adult Life teachers' meeting and our weekly pilgrimage to Wal-Mart--I had writing on my mind. When we got home from church I grabbed Poets and Writers magazine, took it to the sun porch, and read until I fell asleep. This was all according to plan. I woke up from my nap, had a light lunch, and came down to the Dungeon to begin my writing.

What to write? Perhaps an article for Suite101, the second in my series on rain gardens? Maybe a couple of passage notes for the harmony of the gospels. Maybe even 500 or 1000 words on my novel. Or perhaps begin the writing on my next Sunday School series, on the sacraments. The latter, I thought. I had my study book, I had my lesson series outline, and looked at the computer.

There, showing on the bottom bar (the task bar?), was the Excel logo with four files active. What were all those files, I wondered. A simple click showed they were tax spreadsheet. Oh, shoot, I was supposed to finish the Federal taxes today, so I could hopefully do the State tomorrow and then my mother-in-law's Tuesday/Wednesday.

So, I'm afraid writing is out the window for a few more days. The good news is my Federal taxes are done, except for figuring out the IRA contribution so I don't have to write a check to the evil IRS, and proof-reading, math checking, printing, etc. So I'll sign off and look to that. Writing, see you another time.

No comments: