Monday, August 18, 2008

Cyrene, I think I know you

My genealogy work last week was mainly concerning Cyrene Snyder, my wife's great-great-grandmother. She was a puzzle for a while. I thought her maiden name was Whitaker, but eventually learned of her previous marriage.

Cyrene was born 1839 in Brown County, Ohio, to Adam Snyder and Mary M. __________, the fifth of six children born to this couple. They moved to Van Buren County, Iowa, between 1850 and 1856. There Cyrene, when she was 19, married Thomas Whitaker. Thomas was a music teacher (which seems kind of strange for that part of the country in that era), and had attended a Bible college in Weableau, Hickory County, Missouri, north of Springfield. Thomas was not well, suffering from a lung ailment that may have been tuberculosis. Yet he was able to travel, making two trips to the west coast, once to look for gold, and once "for his health", boarding a ship there and sailing to Central America, making the crossing, then up to the east coast and eventually back to Iowa. Cyrene was pregnant when he began this last trip, and delivered their third child while he was away.

Thomas died around 1870, and Cyrene spent time with his relatives and with her brother (either Hiram or Peter, I haven't yet determined). Thomas had given her a lot of instability. Her children were all born in different locations, her first in a covered wagon miles away from any family. She may have been looking for stability when she married Walter Thompson in Appanoose County, Iowa in 1872. Walter was recently widowed, and had seven children, four still in the home. He was about 24 years older than Cyrene, but he seems to have given her the stability she did not have with Thomas Whitaker. I think the Thompsons lived in the same place for the next 15 or so years.

Walter and Cyrene had three sons, including my wife's great-grandfather. This meant the blended family--his, hers, and theirs--was 14 children in all. Tracking down this brood and their descendants has been difficult, but a picture is beginning to emerge. Still much more to go, but I think I can find many of Cyrene's descendants.

Walter passed away sometime between 1885 and 1889, at which time Cyrene married John Bailey in Sullivan County, Missouri. I have not yet been able to learn how many children he brought to the mix. Photos show him to be a learned, refined person. They resided in Green City, Missouri, where Cyrene had at least five of her children near her most of the time. Once daughter, Florence Whitaker Schnelle, moved with her family to Sharon, Barber County in southwestern Kansas in 1900. Cyrene paid her a visit in Oct-Nov 1902 and died there of "dropsy of the heart" on November 8, 1902, age 64. Her obituary says she "came home a corpse" on the day she had intended to return.

All of this is of no interest to almost anyone in the world, save me and a couple of Lynda's cousins who are also working on this line. But I find Cyrene's life fascinating. Much data exists from which to piece together her biography. I like her; I like what she stands for. Her family was not in the first wave of emigrants to the west. They followed the pioneers, always a state behind the frontier. Yet they were pioneers in their own way, and did much to build America.

Last night I filed most of the papers generated from last week's research. I have one more night to go, of filing and maybe drawing a few charts, after which I will return to writing with renewed vigor.

No comments: