Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Olympics (sigh)

For the first time ever for the summer Olympics, I'm not interested. What a change in me. I've been watching the Olympics since 1964, when they were in Tokyo, when Bob Hayes won the 100 meter dash to become the world's fastest man. The 1968 Olympics resulted in my two sharpest memories, good and bad: Bob Beamon setting a record in the long jump that stood for decades, and the raised fist protest on the medal stand by American 400 meter runners.

What is it now that drives my lack of interest? Oh, I've watched some. Saw the tape-delayed 100 and 200 meter records/wins for Usain Bolt of Jamaica, the US sweep in the men's 400 meter hurdles, some gymnastics, some swimming, some volleyball. But overall, if my wife hadn't turned on the TV, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

So again, what drives my lack of interest? Maybe it's just my competing interests. In past Olympiads I wasn't so into trying to be a writer. Now every minute I spend with eyes on the television puts me further behind on writing projects, with consequences down the road. Also, I have this small spike in genealogy interest happening right now, also taking me away from writing but also requiring a lot of concentration. It's hard to watch a balance beam routine when trying to type a family group sheet, or add proper citations to an "events in the life of" document. Then there's all the work of moving my mother-in-law from her house to an apartment. That has gone well, the move is mostly complete (though with boxes yet unpacked), and now remains the sale of excess items and of the house.

Two other things which are consuming time, either now or scheduled for the next 10 days, are trying to get healthier through better eating and much walking for exercise, and helping a best friend move by August 31st.

I think I just answered my question, though, in the last paragraph. It's time. I realize the Olympics come around only every four years (or every two years including the winter version), but it's a question of whether watching them is a good use of my time when I have so many other things I need to do. I keep plugging away at a little writing, a little genealogy, a little reading for pleasure, a lot of walking, and a lot of moving (with much, much more of that the next ten days).

The Olympics? How soon is the closing ceremony? I missed the opening one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Closing ceremony is tonight. Try not to miss it if at all possible; I assure you it will be fairly spectacular.

Michael Phelps' 8 medals was pretty exciting to watch, as well as the women's gymnastics.

David A. Todd said...

I watched most of it, Chuck. I still didn't care, but I did watch it. Watched a fair amount during the week as well, also last weekend. I agree that the swimming and gymnastics were good to see, also the volleyball. Did not watch any of the basketball. As expected, I enjoyed the track and field events.