Sunday, August 10, 2008

Home

We are home again, 2,600+ miles and ten days later. On Friday the 1st, we headed out, driving to Orlando for the conference I presented a paper at. We went south via New Orleans, just driving through on the Interstate, but still seeing areas that were devastated in Hurricane Katrina. Our route took us through new States, more for Lynda than for me.


In Orlando, we did a lot less than expected. My work kept me busy almost three days, and Lynda hung out in the hotel room and did her work. We had planned to leave Orlando today, but on Thursday afternoon we made the decision to head home the next day. Rather than make the drive in two days, we took three, a leisurely drive indeed.

On the way there, we stopped in Live Oak, Florida, and saw my cousin Pamela. I last saw her in 1959. I don't remember that, but the family photos exist of us in the same picture in my parent's driveway. That was an enjoyable meeting lasting a few hours. The next day we saw her father, my Uncle Gilbert and his wife and another of his daughters, my cousin Jody Beth and her husband. I hadn't seen them since Dad's funeral in 1997.

So it was a good trip. Back home, I will again turn my thoughts outside of the office to writing, and try to achieve some of the August goals I blogged about a few days ago.

No comments: